Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Fast Track for 2018 Graduate: Orangeburg-Charleston-Atlanta

Ashailyn "Shay" Gleaton
It can take people many years, if ever, to get a job at a major news network.  It took SC State 2018 communications graduate Ashailyn Gleaton less than a year to do so.

Shay, as she goes by, is from Orangeburg. She is a graduate of Orangeburg-Wilkinson High School.  Around the time she graduated from SC State in May 2018, she began working at Charleston's WCSC-TV.

Last fall she learned of an entry-level program at CNN. She applied, was interviewed a few times, and this April the big offer came and the young woman was on her way to the big city and the big job as a news assistant at CNN.
We spoke with her via iPad and FaceTime

A few days ago in my Feature Writing class, the students and I had the chance to talk to Gleaton with the help of FaceTime.

She shared what her first six months at CNN have been like and how life is treating her in Atlanta.


Question:  What is the favorite thing about your new job? 

Answer:  I guess being able to shadow and kind of pick and choice where I want to go. I thought I knew what I wanted to do in local news, but being here I think I want to try to go into an associate producer role. They do give you opportunities here to look around and see where you want to go. Going from local news where you know everyone to a big place like CNN is a big adjustment.

Question:  What is your experience like there on a day to day basis?  

Answer:  I mostly do prompter (teleprompter) or I print out scripts during the day. So like a typical day like today I get in at seven. I prompt for two shows. And then I go into the studio for the rest of the day and print out scripts.

Question: Have you had opportunities to network, to meet other people in your field? 
Answer: Yes, I have definitely met a lot of people. I haven't met Anderson Cooper yet but I've met Heinz Ward, Coy Wire, Robin Meade, a few people from the international (broadcasts). I'm definitely networking that way as well as networking with people in the control room. You'd be surprised where some people come from. I've met a couple HBCU grads. Everyone is very friendly. I really haven't had a bad vibe from anyone.

I like Atlanta, there is so much to do. I drive to work from my apartment in Lithonia but can't stand my upstairs neighbors because they are so loud. Anyone who has lived in Hugine Suites can relate to that (laughs).

Question:  Do you see a lot of people of color working at CNN?  

Answer:  At first it didn't seem like it, I'm not going to lie. But there's definitely a lot. I've seen them from directors to producers, to associate producers, to production, to floor directors. They're literally everywhere. There is even a group you can be part of. African-Americans who host events. I haven't been to one yet because the one I was going to go to was canceled. But they are always having events.
Repping SC State! 

Questions: Do you think it's a place you will want to stay for a while and try to advance? 
Answer: Yes, I want to stay here maybe a good five years. I can see myself moving to another side of the operation. They push you here, they want you to try new things and move up. They don't want you to do the same thing year after year. 

Question:  What advice would you give to current communications students?
Answer:  I would say don't feel like State doesn't prepare you. You may sometimes feel like people are going to look down on you because you went to an HBCU. But like someone told me recently, the person over me, said we only hire the best. Obviously, State prepared me and I'm the best at it to get hired here. So whatever you guys want to do, you can do it. There are plenty of people succeeding, especially from this program.

I tell people all day that I am from South Carolina State. I wear this hoodie (see photo) every day so everyone knows exactly where I come from.

Thank you Shay Gleaton for your time and keep up the good work at CNN in ATL! We are all so proud of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment